Monday, April 5, 2010

Museu Picasso- Barcelona!

[image http://bit.ly/936rQ5]

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I will be taking a vacation in Europe in May. I'll be spending a week in Spain and a week in Paris - what better places to go for an art lover? Before I leave I want to have all my days planned out and all the museums I want to visit. Let's organize this list by city, shall we?

First up is Barcelona. I have heard from a handful of people that this city is by far their favorite to visit in Spain. The architecture, the food, the music, the art; they can't stop raving about how amazing Barcelona is. The first museum that I want to see in Barcelona will be the Picasso Museum. Picasso is by far one of my favorite artists - I can always go to his work for inspiration. And his life is just as amazing as his art.

Picasso lived in Barcelona off and on for several years. He first arrived in Barcelona as a child and spent several years studying at the School of Fine arts. He would leave the city to continue his studies and career but would return several times throughout his life. During his time here he built up a very close relationship with the community - many of his closest friends, family, loved ones and his biggest supporters lived in Barcelona. In addition, Picasso said that Barcelona served as inspiration for many of his works. Because it meant so much to him, both personally and artistically, Picasso wanted the city to be the home of his museum. The Museu Picasso was opened by his friend and secretary, Jaume Sabartes, in 1963.

There are 39 pieces in the permanent collection including his famous The Offering and one of my personal favorites, Seated Man. There are also examples of a lot of his earliest works, especially while he was studying in the city, which I am very eager to see in person. When I get to the Museu Picasso I will make sure to take write down everything that I am thinking, feeling and even taking a picture or two to bring back to share with everyone.

For more information about Picasso, his art and his life, check out http://www.museupicasso.bcn.cat/en/.

If you have any suggestions for museums or other sites to see during my European trip, please feel free to share them in the comments! And keep an eye open for the other museums I hope to visit as I continue to plan out my travel itinerary.

No comments:

Post a Comment