Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Earth Day Art


I was in San Diego over the weekend at the city's annual Earth Day Festival in Balboa Park. I love going to this festival; it has the most earth-friendly products, clothes, cars and art that you can find in one place. I also love the overall atmosphere - everyone there (with the exception of a few protesters) has such a positive attitude and energy and there for one thing: making the world a better place.

Another thing always on display at the fair are pieces of green artwork. Local artists bring out their work made from recycled products or conveying their own personal green message. But there were a few pieces of art that caught my eye because they were so unique - recycled glass bottles and drinking glasses. While these don't sound too unique on the surface, you really have to see them and learn about the people behind the art that make the pieces so special.

The first product I saw were Love Bottles. Created by a San Francisco nutritionist looking to improve the emotional and physical health of the world, these bottles are covered with positive messages and images that strive to inspire love in the bottle holder. The bottle is partially made from recycled glass (of course) and is 100% reusable. I loved the message behind the Love Bottles so much that I had to get one to bring home with me. It feel good to do a deed by reducing waste and, as the site describes, drinking fresh water from a glass bottle tastes so much better than plastic or aluminum. And one of my favorite things about Love Bottles is that you can design and create your own bottle!

Here are some images of the bottle I purchased as well as a link to Love Bottle's site:


Another glass art company that I found to be really interesting was BottleHood. This is a company that makes glassware from recycled liquor, beer, wine and soda bottles that are collected from local restaurants, bars, homes and events throughout San Diego. I really love for what this company stands for: "A Pride in our neighborhood, our local craftsmen and entrepreneurs, and our social responsibility." I wasn't able to pick up some of their art at the Earth Fair, but I definitely plan on picking some up soon. They are at the Hillcrest Farmers' Market every Sunday from 9-2pm as well as other events and retail stores throughout San Diego. Check out their site for all locations as well as their online store.

http://www.bottlehood.com/



[Earth Fair Image momsgoinggreenblog.com]





No comments:

Post a Comment