Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Museo Nacional Del Prado- Francisco de Goya


The next museum I would like to visit during my brief stay in Madrid is the Museo Nacional del Prado. Thanks to recommendations from former art teachers, friends, tour guides and by @ohmygola on Twitter, it's a can't miss for any trip to Spain. One reason I'm so excited to visit this museum is because it houses many of the most famous paintings by Francisco de Goya.

Francisco de Goya was one of my favorite artists to study in college. Many regard him as the most important Spanish artist of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. de Goya painted during what's known as the Spanish enlightenment, which produced some of his most famous paintings to date including The Disaster of War, 85 prints prints that illustrated his account of the atrocities Spain faced during the Napoleanic Wars.

My favorite piece of his is The 3rd of May 1808 in Madrid: the executions on Principe Pio Hill. According to the Museo Del Prado, Goya was able to "show the depiction of the execution of the patriots from Madrid by a firing sqad from Napoleon's army in reprisal for their uprising against the French occupation on the second of May, 1808." I really fell in love with this painting because I believed de Goya was able to capture the emotion and pain the Spanish people were feeling because of the war.

Just four more weeks and I will be able to see this masterpiece in person!

[image http://www.museodelprado.es/en]

No comments:

Post a Comment