Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rest in Peace, Jim Marshall

I was very sad to learn that legendary rock & roll photographer, Jim Marshall, passed away today. For those unfamiliar with his work, check out his collection here: http://www.marshallphoto.com/

I was turned on to Marshall's work the first time I ever saw "Cash Flipping The Bird," the iconic photo of Johnny Cash at his performance at San Quentin prison.
"Johnny flipping the bird at San Quentin Prison, 1969. Contrary to popular belief, John has never been in prison. I think he got busted once for being drunk or something when he was a kid - I don't know and it's none of my business - but he's never been in jail. I've known John since 1962, and I forget why he flipped the bird in this picture. It might have been directed at the television crew who was filming there, or I might have suggested doing a special shot for the warden, but for whatever reason, this has become a very famous, iconic picture. His record company is still using it. It shows John's individuality, but the gesture was definitely done in jest. John's got a great sense of humor and this was not a serious shot." — Jim Marshall
Photo from MarshallPhoto.com
Marshall has captured some of the most famous rock photos of legends like Cash, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, The Beatles, Coltrane and more. His work has been studied and emulated for decades and he will continue to serve as inspiration to artists for generations to come.

The art and music world lost a master today. Jim Marshall will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment